Getting Your Visa to Study in Canada

Depending on your country of origin and the type and length of study, you may require:
           • A temporary resident visa
           • A study permit
           • For Quebec-bound students, a CAQ (Quebec Application Certificate)

The type of documentation required depends on your country of origin, the program you are taking, and the length of your study:
           • Any study program of up to six months: no study permit is required.
           • Programs longer than six months require a study permit.

If you will be studying in a program of six months or less, but think you may continue your studies in another program after this short-term program is completed, you should apply for a study permit before you come to Canada.
If you do not have a valid study permit and wish to continue your studies, you will have to leave Canada in order to apply for one.

NOTE: A temporary resident visa may be required depending on your country of origin. Please see the list of countries that require a temporary resident visa as provided by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
More information on the process of applying for a study permit is available on Citizenship and Immigration Canada's web site..

A step-by-step guide to obtaining a student authorization:

1. Pick up student authorization forms
You may obtain study permit forms in your country of origin at the Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Canadian Education Centre. Applications and documentation must then be submitted to the nearest visa office. A person may apply for a study permit at a Canadian port of entry only if that person is a national of the United States; a permanent resident of the United States; a resident of St. Pierre and Miquelon; or a dependent of a person who is in Canada on an employment or study permit.
The application for a study permit is also available online at:

2. Gather the necessary documents
It is crucial that students submit ALL documentation requested with their applications. Missing documentation will delay the authorization process.
Documents needed to apply for a study permit
Although the documents listed below are normally needed to support your application, local requirements may also apply. Visit the Web site of the visa office responsible for your region to check that you have all documents you need before submitting your application:

I. Proof of identity. This includes photocopies of a valid passport or travel document or identity document that guarantees re-entry to the country that issued it; and two recent passport-size photos (2" x 2.5") for each family member, with the full name and date of birth recorded on the back of each photo. Visa officers may also wish to see the actual passport or travel document and will inform you if this is the case.
Visa application photograph specifications

II. Proof of financial support that shows you will have enough money during your stay in Canada to cover tuition fees, return transportation and $10,000 CDN per annum for living expenses (additional funds may be required if there are other family members accompanying you). Documentation for this requirement could be proof of a Canadian bank account or a bank draft in convertible currency, bank statements for the past four to six months, or proof of payment of tuition and residence fees. (As a guideline, $10,000 CDN plus to tuition fees per academic year is generally viewed as sufficient.)

  All provinces
except Quebec
Single student Tuition plus $10,000 for a 12-month period (or $833 per month) Tuition plus $9,600 for a 12-month period (or $800 per month)
+ one family member $4,000 for a 12-month period (or $333 per month) 60% of student base (from above) or $5,740 for a 12-month period (or $478 per month)
+ each additional family member $3,000 for a 12-month period per dependent child of any age (or $255 per month) 40% of student base (from above) or $3,840 for a 12-month period (or $320 per month)

III. A medical examination in your country of origin. Medical exams are required if your stay is longer than six months and you come from a country with high health risks or will be studying or working in a place where protection of public health is essential. Please note that medical processing will add several weeks to the time necessary to obtain a study permit. In some cases, you may need a medical examination even though your course is less than six months in duration. In these instances, a visa officer will determine whether you will require a medical examination and will send you the appropriate medical forms and instructions.

IV. Proof of acceptance by an approved educational institution. The following information must be included in letters of acceptance: name, date of birth, mailing address of student; the course for which the student has been accepted; the estimated duration or date of completion of the course; the date on which the course begins; the last date on which the student must register for the course; the academic year which the student will be entering; whether the course is full or part-time; the tuition fee; any conditions related to acceptance; clear identification of the educational institution; and licensing information for private institutions. This letter must be signed by an authorized representative of the institution.

V. Proof of custodianship If you are a minor (typically less than 18 years but this can vary from province to province), proof of custodianship in Canada is required. You must provide a notarized declaration signed by your parent or legal guardian in the country of origin AND a notarized declaration signed by the custodian in Canada stating that adequate arrangements have been made for the custodian in Canada to act in place of a parent in times of emergency, such as when medical attention or intervention is required. For younger children, a broader declaration may be required. Broad declarations must state that the custodian is not only responsible in times of emergency but also for day-to-day care and supervision.

3. Visit the Visa Office
Once you have completed the application forms and have gathered the necessary documentation, proceed to the visa office nearest to you and submit the forms and required information along with a study permit fee. When reviewing your study permit application, a visa officer must be satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations and that you will only be in Canada temporarily. Once the visa officer is satisfied that you are a "bona fide" student and all statutory requirements are met, you will be issued a document which must be shown to an immigration officer at the port of entry in Canada in order to obtain a study permit . As your study permit will normally be valid for the duration of your course, please ensure that your travel document (passport) is also valid for that same period of time.